My humble quest to build La Petite Maison!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Stuff, Stuff, Stuff

It's moving day! Well, at least it is this Saturday. With our upcoming move there have been a few things coming up (in my head) that I think would be good to adress...

When my family and I moved into the house we are moving from (the farmhouse) I said to myself, "I am going to keep my room flawless!" Two weeks later the only place you could see my floor was the path from my door to my bed and closet. Obviously, I failed at my resolution. As we are moving into the new old house (townhouse) this week I said to myself, "I am going to keep my room organized." Some memories came up though. Why had I failed the first time? What did I do that was wrong? Then it hit me like a piece of a baseball bat flying from Babe Ruth's hands: I had too much STUFF! Yes, it all makes perfect sense now. No wonder I could only make a path from the door to my bed; I didn't have any space on my shelves.

My next question was, "How do I keep that from hapening this time?" The answer I think many of you know: Don't have do much freakin' stuff. Pardon my French. With that revelation I then decided to have a mini rant to my mother as we were packing. It went like this: "I hate all of this stuff. I just want to throw it all out. I hate it all. I hate it. I hate, hate, hate it! I...I...I don't..... I JUST HATE IT ALL!"  I managed to calm down after that. I guess the lesson is not to aquire stuff that you are going to lose your head over. After all, it is just stuff. When I think about it, by the time I am in college I will probably have thrown all of it out and gotten a new set of stuff. Who knows?

4 comments:

  1. I know. And yes, you will have new stuff. And then after college you will transition into a whole new set of stuff. And then when you get married you will merge your stuff with his stuff. The process is endless. You just have to keep with you a firm grasp on the difference between need and want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it could go the way of ALL my Stuff! I loaded all my Stuff in my RV and started on the move from montana to California, And The RV burned to the ground in a small town in Idaho. Everything I owned including the $1200.00 that I had for gas lodging and other stuff. Fortunatly My Daughter and the 2 dogs and I got out in time, But On the bright side. NO More STUFF. hope you realy found a better way.
    A new friend Edward Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edward, Your story is amazing. It makes me think that I need to stop focusing on all the things I want, but all the things I have. I am glad that you and your family got out safely and I wish you the best of luck and I am glad you are free of your stuff! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog. Loving it. One rule that I like: If you bring something in the house, then something must go. It's hard to do, but it helps a bit. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete